Friday, August 21, 2009

Riff Trax live

Pictured above are Bill Corbett, Mike Nelson, and Kevin Murphy, the central cast members of Mystery Science Theater 3000 during the Sci-Fi Channel years. That show had an indelible impact on my sense of humor and taste in movies. Coupled with my mom's love of Star Wars, Big Trouble in Little China, and Masters of the Universe, it's perhaps no wonder that I turned out the way I did. Anyway, since MST3K's cancellation, the trio has kept on keepin' on with Rifftrax.com, a Web site that essentially continues the tradition of making fun of movies. Basically, they sell audio tracks of Nelson and the ex-bots cracking wise. Last night, they performed a live lambasting of the schlock classic Plan 9 From Outer Space, along with live music, a bonus riffing on the informational short film Flying Stewardesses, and a couple of clips from the MSTIE acolytes at Something Awful. It was, simply put, hilarious. I went with a few friends to see the satellite broadcast at a local theater (coupled with some pre-screening Time Crisis 4), and I'm really, really glad I did.

It's refreshing to know that the stuff you thought was hilarious as a kid is still pretty much comedic genius. Plus, everyone that went scored a digital goody bag. Oh those Minnesotans... will they ever stop giving?

No comments:

Post a Comment